Sunday, January 13, 2013

Some old and some new

Remember my Improvi-Robin quilt from last summer?  I have finally decided to get it finished.  I found some Alexander Henry fabric when I was out with my sister.  Actually, she found it and I bought it.  I also found some of the fabric Stephanie used on the left and bottom so I could add more to the top.  I cut out the three ladies and put them near the top.  I have fabric for the back so now all I need is the thread.
Here are the three ladies a little closer.
I am also working on a couple of baby quilts.  Bella is going to have a little sister in April and our oldest son and his wife who live in France are having a boy in May.  The baby girl quilt is not as far along as the baby boy quilt.  I still need fabric for the sashing.  
This one is for the baby boy.  I know his parents like bright colors.  I hope he does as well.
Lastly, I think I have finally figured out how to make a quilt similar to this one.
The antique is hand sewn and the strips are much narrower, but I am not one for such fussy sewing on a large scale.  This strip is 6" wide.  The strips are cut 1 1/4" wide and the base triangles are from a 2 1/2" square.  I made the first one on a piece of paper just to get the measurements, then I chain pieced the next four.  Now, I only have 75 units to go. I am making this from goodwill shirts and scraps.  It will take a while, but I think it is going to be very cool when done.
Back to the spiderweb quilt another day.
Joyful quilting, everyone.




10 comments:

rubyslipperz1052 said...

They all look fun! I really like the improv-fabric idea. It's sooo much easier to me, than, cutting pieces up first and storing them to make a quilt with really small pieces =)

hugZ,
annie

Sarah Craig said...

Oh my goodness, Miki, what a wealth of eye candy! I absolutely love your round robin quilt - the addition of the ladies is genius! And your grandson's quilt is wonderful - such great colors and I love the "made" fabric. And I love the string quilt too - actually better than the antique version! I can't wait to see what it looks like when you're finished!

Nifty Quilts said...

Love the baby boy quilt. I'm so glad you've figured out that string quilt. It looks great in the checks.

antique quilter said...

wow you have been busy! love the baby quilt I am sure he will love the bright happy colors, your improvi robin quilt is just fun, so creative.

OK I LOVED that quilt when I saw it on the post
I am so glad you figured it out first, it was on my list to figure it out too!
its an incredible quilt and I would love to make it from my scrap baskets....thanks :)
Kathie

Cathy said...

You always seem to get so much done. I love your improv quilt. The ladies are fantastic. Hugs

sheila 77 said...

I agree, the addition of the ladies is very clever. Like the baby quilt very much too, something a bit different for a baby. And I like the third quilt too.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Miki you are on a roll! LOVE the ladies, LOVE the baby quilt, ( of course!) and the shirting's quilt. BE still my heart!

Mac said...

The sash color goes so well with the grandson blocks! Nicely done. And you made very good use of that beautiful African fabric with the brightly dressed women. Fun shopping with you too!

Sara said...

Really enjoy your Goodwill thrifted quilt top!!

Amanda said...

I really like the baby blanket! I'm sure the baby will too. :)